Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Books and More Books

Last Sunday was Day 2 at Buderim Craft Cottage and I taught Books and More Books...a variety of different bindings for pamphlet stitches and Japanese Stab Bindings.

It was a full on day with a full class and I barely managed to get a photograph of anything.  But we managed a few courtesy of the class. Thank you!

Here I am, talking with my hands as ever...


Four of our pamphlet stitched books (we made 5) and one of our Japanese Stab Bindings (we made 4).


Lovely chain stitch; lovely contrasting dot and dash and lovely laced dash at the bottom.


Two things come together here.  One is that I encourage folk to think of these as sample books.  To jot down notes; notes to self; little reminders of what worked or what didn't; traps for young players; and so on.  So often we do something, come back to it weeks later to try again and get frustrated by the repetition of errors or the things we forget.  This way you get little reminders before you start again.  

Secondly one of my Rules of Engagement - is make something of yor mistakes. Deliberate mis-spelling. 
We use templates to mark out our holes and to pierce them before stitching. As I demonstrated, I inadvertently left mine in place for the first two stitches - which just goes to show we all make mistakes- and unpicked and began again.  After all the effort of stitching dot and dash for this book; this person found they had left the template in the whole time.  They could have ripped it out; but thought no - it's a really good reminder and I won't forget next time. I totally agree and think that it's brilliant!


And then because I forgot to take photos of the workshop here are a few randoms from through the week.

Beautiful light on a package of type.


Stunning colours within this ranunculus


Pegs shadow dancing...

It felt like a huge weekend teaching, and it was so satisfying to see the results and know that people felt confident to head home and have a go at stitching.  Yay to making books!

2 comments:

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.