Sunday, September 5, 2021

Playing around with words and flowers

In those in between and random moments I have been pondering what it would be like to have some of the key words in the Women Friends poem printed on a large sheet of paper.

Using our beautiful century old Amalia wood type from Italy, I worked out how many I could get, given the limited number of letters in a fount.



Half way through I remembered we had lower case as well!

So I set them up in the large proofing press and inked them and rolled a few out.


One thing about century old type - it is all a bit variable in its height. As you can see, the lower case m on the left gets hit very early and a number of the other letters must be a lot lower and they barely get contacted at all (INE in shine, l in melting).

Before I invested a significant amount of time into properly proofing the words - checking heights, building them up, trying to get everything evenly inked and evenly heighted (a personal made up word), I thought I should just sit with the pages a while and se if they were going to be of any use anyway.



The second run was better from an inking perspective, but the height issue remains.



So today I cut them down a bit, to see if they might work as backgrounds, then I got distracted by needing to do some prep for next weekend's workshop, so I didn't photograph anything beyond this! Soon I hope.

On another note I finally pulled the threads out of the tibouchina dye pot.

Remember this splendid colour?


Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. I got nothin'.


Isn't it all an amazing experiment???

So as you do, I grabbed a few more heartsease flowers, added them to the original heartsease pot and threw these threads in there to see what might happen. Still waiting to see.

6 comments:

  1. Love the blue your heartsease gave you in a previous post and it makes sense that Tibouchina doesn't give colour as I've never noticed it stain the footpaths!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does make sense Mo - I shall need to trawl the footpaths for usable ones that might dye! I had been wondering about red grevilleas - but with that thought in mind; again I have never seen them stain concrete...onwards!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. That they are...I think Mo's advice re stinging concrete is a handy tip for the quest! Sigh mean fewer less than successful experiments!

      Delete
  3. nothing ventured, nothing gained ... here's hoping your next layers of ink and petals are closer to what you intended

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Liz - I like the wondering and what if? but also expect I would get a bit down if I did heaps and heaps of ones that didn't work in a row. I went to check the threads this morning - nowhere to be seen on the deck. Looked over the edge - and they had landed lid up on the gravel below - without injury! From a height of 3m (9ft). Fingers are crossed for colour continuation. Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.