Sunday, October 3, 2021

Textile Exhibition visit

Barry and I trotted down to the Old Ambo Gallery at Nambour last week to check out the Baltic Mini Textiles Exhibition. It is on show until 23 October, Monday-Saturday 10am-3pm.

We had a lovely time and really enjoyed the variety of textiles and works.  It is an internationally, juried touring exhibition, and each piece can only be 20cm x 20cm x 20cm  so they are full of details - delicious!

As I explored further, I found that there is still time to enter for the 2022 show - have a look here

Here are some of my favourites, and some details.

This form always gets me in the feels as they say.  I love this most simplistic expression of 'home' in my western artistic vocabulary at least.  This form always says home to me and I adore it in any style - wood, textile, clay, paper, metal, paint. I just love it.

Teresa Rucinska, Poland - Tenements

This was a startlingly detailed and layered piece - such TINY slivers of paper cut and glued. Mind boggling really.

Helene Tschacher, Germany - OD Catalogue

and a close up


Details only here of an interesting 3D form

Janina Gajska-Bruzdowicz, Poland - Awakening


A shot from above - this piece was a cube with these 5 'nests' within it.

Barbara Esser/Wolfgang Horn, Germany - Tex Cube One

I also love a grid (and a cube as above) and this was lovely. A sense of formality with organic edges.

Feliksas Jakubauskas, Lithuania - Screams of the sea


I enjoyed the textures created by the hand and machine stitching here; as well as the whimsy of a bear, with a fish.

Sue Stone, England - Self Portrait with Bear and Masks


It was a delightful show and we felt lucky to be able to view an international show like this in regional QLD.

2 comments:

  1. love seeing these works through your eyes albeit virtually, gosh I miss visiting galleries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was equally entranced by tiny details in the first image (and I confess to looking up the conversion of 20 cm to 7.8 in) ... interested in seeing the specs for the exhibit, I followed your link and found more images to enjoy ... and while I had no intention of entering, I was bemused to see that only art school graduates need apply ...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.