Sunday, October 24, 2021

The Red Thread opens...



 And red dots appear!

Here we are, the four friends who pulled together this showing.  Who all live in different townships and cities and suburbs; yet have remained connected - the red thread of friendship.

Susan, Me, Tory and Steph. We started a WhatsApp group years ago (one night at dinner and after some bubbles) and quickly called ourselves Print Princesses just because...alliteration. We still think of ourselves as the PPs and laugh when we call each other Princess.

But a beautiful bunch to work with. Four vastly different artists, yet bringing together a beautiful showing.


Barry likes this one - me as the shopkeeper - clearly trying to work out the paperwork and money as folk begin to mingle.




Towards the end of the day I said a few words...


Here is Susan's work mid-hanging. No idea where the final shot is; but there are some red dots in places now. Mixed media drawings on film. Layered and beautiful - holding and connecting....


Tory's work - the red thread running thru nature - to allure or to repel?  Enticement or Danger? Or both?


Steph's time of connection through Covid; and one of the things that held her was the visiting crows. Her Covid Corvids.  That's Russell (Crow) on the wall. And the red thread of the Brisbane River.


And here we are with red dots on some of my work too!  I will do a proper post about the works themselves soon; but for now happy days!



At one point yesterday afternoon it felt like a bit of a frenzy.  Maybe 25 people buzzing and chatting and asking about work, buying work and talking letterpress. A friend walked in and asked how I was (I mentioned I was 'holding it', just) and she said "if you need a hand, just give me a nod". And you know, I looked around that room and knew that every woman friend there was a woman I could give the nod to, and they'd be there to help; to back me up; to do whatever I needed.

Women Friends.

Thank you to all the folk who have visited thus far; and to all who have purchased art. Red dots for artists just bring me so much joy. They mean artists are being appreciated; beautiful art is being shared; people are being uplifted by gorgeous work in their homes...such a wonderful thing.

And thanks to Barry who absolutely backed me up every step of the way - who cleaned and tidied and did all the home stuff in the lead up and then spent the afternoon talking to people, pouring drinks and sharing his work too.

6 comments:

  1. red dots winding through the red threads ... such a wonderful thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, that last photo makes my mouth water. I wish I could see it all ‘in the flesh’… congrats xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very tactile kind of showing with my stuff C - you'd enjoy the little moments I think.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic looking exhibition.Looking forward to seeing more of the work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jac - it feels marvellous to have it out there! Will keep on sharing as best I can. Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.