Tuesday, October 5, 2021

The Red Thread!

Well, here we go and the countdown is on!

I am part of a small yet beautiful showing of work, along with  three of my bestest artist friends

Susan Bowers, Stephanie McLennan and Tory Richards

We chose the theme The Red Thread and have each explored it in our own very personal ways. For the past year or so we have been pondering what it means; how threads hold us and connect us to each other and the world around. We have prints, mixed media drawings, textiles and artists' books on show, and for sale.

The show will be open from Saturday 23 October - Sunday 14 November, Friday - Sunday from 10am - 4pm; and at other times by appointment

There have been hints and suggestions of things with red thread throughout the blog and Instagram for a bit; but I have taken quite a while to settle and land.  I am still settling (eek!) but am quietly confident I am on track - thank goodness nothing needs framing!


And so images like this have caught my eye - when my silk thread fell to the floor; and that shadow line.


And here, as I wind and unwind rich redness.


And I collect the thread and pop it on some fabric...


And my work table fascinates as I just kept moving along sideways as things unfurled, literally at times.


Reminding myself of the order in which the threads were used...


And letterpress printing some words...


And the wrapping with the red thread...



I have seen sneak peaks of the others' work and so much of it is beautiful.  Far less literal than me; but I have enjoyed working with red, given I rarely head too far out into the land of colour!

My red threads are all about female friendships and I have really enjoyed my time with them.  There are more to come and I will show them as they are finalised and when the show begins...

6 comments:

  1. That thin red line... looks like you're having a lot of fun here! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am indeed - in so many ways - and with a beautiful poem about Women Friends...the best!

      Delete
  2. how exciting ... I can hardly wait

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz - still a bit to be done, but it is getting to that exciting time!

      Delete
  3. (((Fiona))) what a beautiful exhbition this will be, love the red thread that holds friends together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Mo - I lie the thought of it and how it plays out in our lives...

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.