Thursday, August 25, 2022

Thursday Thoughts...

“Lovely days don’t come to you. You should walk to them.”  

Rumi

There is always complexity for me between being open to things happening to you; and not waiting for things to happen to you.

Something that oscillates between control and release. 

And I guess really it probably all comes down to "all things in moderation" or "maintaining a balance".

The quote here appears to me to be aimed a bit more at those times when we moan, or bemoan, that things aren't great. That everything is miserable. That we deserve better.

In this manner it makes me think that we should be active participants in the seeking of joy, happiness or loveliness.  We should walk towards these moments. We should get ourselves up and make it possible for these moments to happen.

Of course, beautiful, magical and precious moments do appear out of the blue and in unexpected ways and they should be celebrated, but I feel as if this quote is kind of saying: 

Just don't sit there waiting, assuming and expecting they will come to you, without you doing anything.



2 comments:

  1. Our family has long posed the question: beach or mountains? (to which the correct answer was assumed to be "beach"). But even though I always thought we would end up retired somewhere on the Atlantic coast, we have instead ended up in the Texas Hill Country, far from any open water. Which I guess proves the point of the quote: we moved toward something unknown and found lovely days aplenty (although I'm still a tad bit jealous that you are so close to the coast, beautifully pictured here)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a true conundrum to me Liz - how not to plan my life away and miss out on magic moments; and how to simply go with the flow and miss out on things that might matter. Beach/Mountain I totally get it! In Scotland we kind of have both; here we have mountains with the beach a 3/4 hour drive away. Pretty fortunate I think. Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.