Tuesday, August 16, 2022

The making of the third piece

 I am not sure if I have blogged about this piece at all!  It started out with the poetic prose I mentioned here; but has moved so far away from the image of hand set letterpress that I can barely recall that I was even ever thinking of that! Amazing transition.

But yes, this piece is about envelopes and how they hold our thoughts and feelings. How they move between places and how they are precious and treasured.

It began way back when I thought I would take some paper to Scotland and try to do some rubbings of the cottage. Which I did. On return, I also did some rubbings of the chair made by our dear friend Ken Munsie, which has greeted people at our front door for over a decade. Markings from our two homes.


So I had loads of lovely paper to play with and went about making envelopes.

Cottage papers.

Maleny papers.


 Both.

Seriously, the fun I had sewing papers together to make patchwork envelopes should be illegal.




I won't bore with you the multiplicity of trials I did to try and work out how to get writing onto the cards inside: colours, styles, legibility - so many trials! This is where I landed.




And then I started making even more beautiful bundles. Sigh.


Pulling this piece of work together has been a true labour of love - so many attempts to get the look and the feel just right. These photos show how much I have enjoyed it and it makes me smile to think this is where I got to - after many trips around the bold, the bright and the beautiful, I have landed here in my quiet, softly spoken palette. 

2 comments:

  1. ah, but you have posted bits and pieces on Instagram, leaving me to wonder where you were headed ... and now, here, it all becomes a coherent whole ... perfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I sort of let hints out on Insta - mostly when the photos are so gorgeous; here I tell more of the story. Somehow the platforms will support each other I hope. I am truly, deeply, loving these envelopes. x

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.