Sunday, December 17, 2023

Waxing and waning

 I have a project with a deadline of 29 December, which I figure is kind of a kind date - it gives folk who might get a  bit of a breather between Christmas and New Year a chance to finalise work, as opposed to saying it is due before Christmas.  That said, I am not one of the folk who will get a bit of down time between Christmas and New Year, so I am trying to get my piece completed before the 25th!

I am edging closer and have turned my mind to presentation (before the piece is actually finished of course!) and set out to plan some pockets or packets to contain it.

The idea came about because this wee parcel/packet/pocket was sitting on my desk for no good reason. But I picked it up, touched it, smelt it and wondered if it might be the answer.


It involved letterpress printing on Japanese paper, dipping the piece in bees wax, and then hand piercing and stitching down the sides.

So I gathered some papers that had graphite rubbings on them, and wondered if Letraset might suit the purpose? But answered myself 'no'.


So away I went and dipped in wax. The smell is divine, but for some reason I couldn't quite get my act together for a lovely smooth dipping action. But I did like how the wax trapped the wayward threads on this piece.


A few too many lumps and bumps for my liking.


But I persisted and tested out some envelope ideas.





I quite like the shorter overlap on the second one, but the lumps and bumps distract me a bit. The first one could seem too busy, and is also bigger. So I don't quite have the answer but I do have some options. Which in my mind, at the moment and given all that is on, is progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.