Sunday, December 31, 2023

2023, the year in review.

 As is my want about now, I take the time to look back over my year of making and record the ones I like best. It is such a worthwhile thing to do as I can oftentimes barely remember if I made anything at all! In disruptive times it can be hard to keep track and time has become ever more fluid as I get older and the times we live in affect how I view and remember things and events.

And so it was once again, that I surprised myself as I went for a wander through the year and found a bunch of things I had made. In alphabetical order, no order of merit or preference here are the ten things I did this year that I like the most.

On reflection, our trips to Scotland meant that I undertook different types of making; whilst the collaboration I shared with Annwyn became a real focus for my book-making.

1. Charred I

I love this simple and elegant post, inspired by some charred fence posts, cove rocks, rope and rust it became a lovely sentinel in the front garden of the cottage.

2. Charred III

Its not that I didn't like Charred II; its just that I never really photographed it! Charred III is also a lovely reminder of how much fun it can be to simply play together and make something from random things. We had been so busy, and this small piece was just the remedy we needed.

3. Earrings

Still in Scotland, we try to take the opportunity when we can, to do a workshop with silversmith and jeweller Lindsay Gallagher. I really wanted to learn how to solder this year and was thrilled with what I managed to achieve (with help from Lindsay). I love wearing these earrings with their shine and movement. These pebble shaped forms have also become the mainstay of my own jewellery making and I have carried so many of the lessons with me...

4. Grief is a Stone

I was wanting to test and take my calligraphy in new directions and really liked the idea of a sculptural form. Working with rocks from the Scottish cove and beaches, these small sculptures have emerged, with a message that describes the weight of grief at times. 

5. Pendant

On return from Scotland I wanted to try and see if I could remember things about silversmithing and making jewellery, so pretty much went straight into the shed to put into practice the things I had learned. I like the layered movement in this pendant and am proud that I resolved each and every step.

6. The Shape of Things I

This was such a lovely way to begin to re-focus my making. The times of Covid had felt very disjointed and shapeless, so working on this really did help give shape and form to my work. This first unbound book just reflects so many ways that time felt different...

7. The Shape of Things II

By book two I had begun to see the shape or outline of some things...

8. The Shape of Things III

This book had lots of pages, and was a diary of sorts of our collective amnesia; the way in which we avoid thinking about or talking about or acknowledging those times of lockdowns and separation.

9. The Shape of Things IV

Whilst for the first part of our exchange I had focussed on time and Covid implications, for the second part I used the theme to encourage me to work with the existing shape of things in the studio. Book 4 used pre-cut and prepared Perspex as its covers, and some previously cut and prepared papers (extended slightly) for the pages) and took a different colour way entirely. Using botanical-like prints from Annwyn, this books tells a story of unfurling...

10. The Shape of Things V

Continuing my approach to using things up, for book 4 I turned to these pre-folded zig zag books of khadi paper. The addition of a pebble suddenly created ripples and the words began... reflecting how ripples grow, even as they diminish. 


There were quite a lot of smaller things that didn't quite seem as substantial art-wise: my YES posters, my pebble cards, my lovely pouches and threads and some wrapped pebbles.  I also did a couple of courses which helped mightily with my making, but didn't produce actual finished pieces, so it has been a varied year in many ways.

As ever, thanks for coming along on the wander and for being part of my year - I appreciate each and very person who reads and comments and shares their thoughts. 

Go well into 2024, and may we all find, and share, love and care and hope and kindness along the way.

2 comments:

  1. wishing you (and all the world) peace in the new year ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopes for world peace have never seemed more needed...and as we go along, peace for us as individuals our communities and our nations would make great travelling companions. Wishing you both a bright and beautiful new year...

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.