Thursday, December 28, 2023

Thursday Thoughts...

"If one publishes, then one is creating a public record of Learning to Write". 

Lorrie Moore

I really like the sense of humility in this quote, suggesting that even if somebody experiences the success of having a book published, that really all that that does is show people an example of learning to write.  I like the learning to write bit, rather than a how to write bit, and it's there that I think the humility is shown.

She doesn't suggest that if you read this you will learn how to write - she simply says this is an example of me learning to write, and it is now on the public record, rather than simply in a drawer in my office.

Its a lovely way to think about what all of those books we see in bookshops and libraries are - more lessons in learning to write! They aren't exemplars or some sort of pinnacle of excellence - "f I am published I know what I am doing" - they are simply examples of the process being undertaken time and time again of learning to write.

I think it could also apply to art - if you get work shown in a gallery and in a catalogue, it is now creating a public record of learning to make/paint/draw/sculpt/pot or whatever it is that one does.


My work on a catalogue cover...


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.