Thursday, August 8, 2024

Thursday Thoughts

"The problem is, we look for someone to grow old together with, while the secret is to find someone to stay a child with". 

 Charles Bukowski

If I could re-write this one a bit, I would change 'problem' to simply 'thing'. I am not sure it's necessarily a problem.

I like the intent behind this which seems to me to suggest that as we grow old, we should also stay young.  There are so many truisms about ageing gracefully; or disgracefully. About staying young at heart; about acting your age and so on and so forth.

My attraction to this one is I think, that I can find my middle ground - about trying to accept ageing as a thing; but in doing so also trying to keep a sense of child-like wonder about the world - about the trees; the birds; the footpath; the rusty nail; the little mushrooms; the light in the sky; the funny clouds; the beautiful flowers...

I also think I can interpret it to mean trying to remain playful and laugh a lot. Giggle at some silly things, some terrible jokes, and funny one liners that no one else gets.

Acting like a child fully isn't all that helpful in a relationship nor as we age; but elements of the child-like should accompany us I think.


Ahhh... that light!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.