Thursday, August 1, 2024

Thursday Thoughts...

“At its most basic, making art is about following what’s luminous to you and putting it in a jar, to share with others” 

 Ben Folds

Some quotes have been in my computer document called Thursday Thoughts for years...possibly even a decade. Some quotes arrive a day or two before I use them; as it was with this one.

I was reading an art journal on Tuesday morning and came across this and just loved the visual and thought yep - it's art this week and this says art!

The key for me here is the word luminous.  It speaks to me of what lights you up; what helps you see and make sense of things; and what makes you feel shiny and glowing. 
The idea then that this is what you have to share; this thing which is special to you which is unique to you in a way - you pop it in a jar and share away.

I must admit I thought it might be popped in a jar and shaken up so it sparkled even more; but that doesn't appear to be what he had in mind...

My question to myself is what lights me up?


NGV, Melbourne, 2024

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.