Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Stitching the book for week 2

 I collected all the cards early on Sunday morning, and the great news was that there were 38 postcards to stitch! I had printed 40 of each question, so to get nearly all of them completed and popped in the box felt great. The other two are probably acting as lovely souvenirs somewhere...

Barry took some slow action shots as I started stitching at the kitchen table.


With so many cards, covers and title pages to stitch I calculated I needed two threads of 4 metres length. I decided that would be more tangled mess than I needed, so I chose to work with two shorter pieces knowing I would have to join the thread along the way.

It is never my favourite task, but I managed a few weaver's knots and the stitching went on.

Once again I really enjoyed reading the responses - some familiar and expected:  family, comfort, love, and warmth;  and some unexpected ones like armchair, the sea, and community. And one person had written what I had been wondering about.

From all my work with domestic abuse and family violence, I know that home is not always a safe place, and I did get one card that said "tension, fear." I hope that folk who feel that way might feel validated if they pick the book up and come across that one. It's not always sunshine and happy families.


I delivered the book back to the Museum on Monday morning; and it is now alongside Week 1's book. 




The postcards for Week 3 are out, ready for folk to join in and this week's questions is:


1 comment:

  1. Well you sent me down a few rabbit holes with this post! I love making books and have made quite a few over the years but single page binding was new to me. A search on that on Google offered up a blog which led me to Keith A. Smith's books which resulted in a few searches at the local library and Amazon which then turned into another Google search and I am now the proud owner of one of his books that should be winging its way to me soon. I do love mornings such as this!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.