Thursday, September 12, 2024

Thursday Thoughts...

"When I was growing up, all the women in my house were using needles. I've always had a fascination with the needle, the magic power of the needle. The needle is used to repair damage. It's a claim to forgiveness. It is never aggressive, it's not a pin". 

 Louise Bourgeois

I love the way Louise Bourgeois thinking about sewing and stitching, and in particular about needles.  The notion of stitching to repair and to mend is important I think. The way many of us stitch to make things whole again.

Stitching and sewing also also creative acts whereby new things come into being as a result of a needle, filled with thread,  passing through fabric.

I really love her distinction between a needle and a pin. Never had I thought my way into that space until now. I can see exactly what she means by the potential aggression of pain, with somebody wielding it as a weapon almost and ready to prick a hole or pierce the skin. Pins are otherwise for holding, rather than making or repairing which needles achieve.

I love this idea and could explore it a lot longer.



2 comments:

  1. I love this concept of a needle being a healing tool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you love the difference between a needle and a pin?!? The needle does heal; and the pin does pierce...

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.