Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Bibliomancy

I was recently privileged to attend a worksop with Ruth Hadlow, called Poetics of Place.

It landed in my inbox when I was in Scotland last and it utterly drew me in with it synchronicity - I have been yearning to investigate and understand how these two places call me; how I feel like they are both home; and their beauty speaks to me so eloquently, even tho they are so vastly different...

Its not possible to describe the magic of the days I attended; but I did want to share one notion which has stayed with me since and which has become part of my weekly practice.

Ruth referred to the notion of Bibliomancy. One definition of which is

"divination by means of a book, especially the Bible, opened at random to some verse or passage, which is then interpreted".

Now, that's not how I do it however.  I define my own bibliomancy as simply reading things at random, and finding interesting things, and sometimes connections.

Here I am on Wednesday last week. I have some varying and different books in my bag - What Days Are For by Robert Dessaix, re+home+ing by Irene Briant and My Katherine Mansfield Project by Kirsty Dunn for starters.  These are diverse, off to- the-side-idea books and I have loved dipping into them and finding a bit of this and a bit of that which I like or which resonates.

Each week I select one, dip into it, find myself entranced or drifting away and make some notes. No real rules - read a bit, think a bit, put it away and get another one, or keep going and going deeper.


The cover of Kirsty Gunn's book made me catch my breath. It says it all about how I am feeling about home here and there.


But really, what I do is sit and make my way slowly through a cup coffee and jot down notes and quotes and thoughts and make connections.

I have read some academic papers and I am keeping list of words I'd like to truly understand and get the proper definition of along the side.


Every now and again I realise the connections between the vastly different readings...


Each week I write in a different coloured pen so I can more easily find things when I reflect back.




In Irene's book, she ponders having moved to a new home.  Some of her pages are exquisite and I have sat and thought long and hard about the question she poses "How long does it take to feel at home?"

Initially she describes quite prosaic things like being able to find the light switch in the dark, but then she turns to eloquent and poetic indicators that run more deeply. Like When you feel the sun is coming through the right windows; when you feel that all you have gained equals all you have lost.

These are poignant and perfect descriptors of feeling at home.


I have been feeling tired/exhausted by all the moving shenanigans and so have given myself permission the past two weeks to simply read the fabulous print magazine out of the UK Pressing Matters.  I am a couple of issues behind in my reading, so that felt right - a chance to indulge in nice pictures and nice stories about printmaking. I did so without thinking I would analyse, contrast, compare or the other things I do more deeply with other readings.


But in the end I got lots out of it - ideas, connections, opportunities...

I figure I would go to the barricades to safeguard this one hour a week!


4 comments:

  1. I love writing with different ink colors ...

    and I can very much relate to Irene Briant's musings on "home" ... thank you for sharing your gentle transcription of them here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz - it is a lovely practice and I was so happy to find so many gems in that wee book about home-ing. Even making it a verb helps you realise you can make it happen somewhere...I have always enjoyed filing sorting and recording by colour - it certainly makes it easier for me to differentiate things, plus its fun! Go well.

      Delete
  2. (((Fiona))) you and Barry blow me away with all your projects and pursuits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mo, this one is a simple reflective and time out practice which gives far more than it takes! If something goes into he diary I am very good at committing to it - so this hour repeats and repeats and repeats for weeks on end which is grand!

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.