Thursday, February 20, 2020

Thursday Thoughts...

“but writing down the words 
alters what I want to remember 
that which had no words 
was a living breathing image so now I have two versions of the same
today I can superimpose them
but tomorrow when I’m gone
only the words are left
signs evoking something
that no eye sees any more” 

 Remco Campert, from “Memo” (translated by Donald Gardner)

words. and more words.
 I have held this quote for so many years...read it; wondered what it meant; at different times thought it is beyond me; too beautiful...but today I read it slowly and could see it revealing itself to me before my very eyes. Perhaps I had more time or I really wanted to read it, not rush it. Who knows.

Pondering books, I am pondering writing and words here and I think this expresses rather magically the action of describing something in words and what it is, can be, and what remains.

The mere fact that we use language, structure, symbols and meanings to describe something that is simply seen or felt; that is itself voiceless and unspeaking, creates parallel experiences of the thing. Two versions. Momentarily, fleetingly.

I loved the imagery of superimposition - like sliding sheets of tracing paper or glass over something then moving one away, leaving the discrete elements no longer creating unified whole.

And what remains are the words - the image or sensation cannot be felt or seen again, so the portrayal is what we are left with.

Which isn't the thing itself. But it’s something…




4 comments:

  1. the palimpsest, the trace of a memory, interesting how a photograph or a sketch or a word marks the memory of a moment in time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh Mo, I love the word palimpsest! And what it conveys. The layering of words onto images is like atoms dividing or something. I get bit carried away with these words, they seem to say so much, and hold so much possibility. I think I will hold it close for along time. Go well.

      Delete
  2. this is very thought provoking ... as is the image that accompanies it

    more than once I have written of memories, sure of my recall ... only to find later that I didn't get all the details right ...

    so what is true behind the veil of time? ... and do our words create a new reality which is itself subject to future mis-remembering?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a fascinating quote for me Liz - the layers and the possibilities, the encapsulation of moments by words...so so much! I think it could form the basis for much work over time - just exploring the layering of time and words and words and things seen and unseen...go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.