Sunday, February 9, 2020

Gentle Journeys

Work makes and re-makes itself sometimes, and in recent days I was approached by a friend in the US who checked if I would be OK if she added some typewriter written words to some wee pieces I had sent her several years ago.

I said yes immediately and thought what a great addition the words would make.  Plus she was doing it on her purple typewriter; with purple ribbon.  How could anybody say no?!?!?

So that work got re-made and it got me thinking of re-making some of the works themselves.

In amongst the busy-ness of life I just grabbed some quiet studio moments and sat and played with the old embossing plates I found.  I had made the work so long ago I could barely remember what I did; but I knew that I hand embossed.

The original formal pieces were called Gentle Journeys I and II.



I still find them very calming.  However the notion of the squares is what had gotten me and I had made several small ones and wrapped them in Japanese paper and sent them out into the world.

I couldn't find the 'X' so I cut another one; but the line and the circle were still around.

I headed off, using up strips of Fabriano Rosapina that were 8cm wide, creating patterns at will and at random.

It was so stilling, and calming.  Just sitting there with paper, a hand embossing tool and some plates; making it up as I went along.








And then trimming some luscious Japanese paper and making a wrap for them.  It's a little bit of magic as you unwrap what lies within.




Ridiculously simple, but oh so satisfying...

More gentle journeys.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Jac - I think they are just that! Go well

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. That's lovely Liz. I really do enjoy simplicity and elegance. And grace...so beautiful thank you.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.