Thursday, February 6, 2020

Thursday Thoughts...

"Every artist should have a cheap line. It keeps art ordinary" 

John Baldessari

I read this one a long time ago and is sat deeply in mind - occasionally I would lift it up again and look at it, consider it, and ponder how to apply it to my work.

I actually think is an interesting notion because for somebody like me, whose work has a very very niche market, it could make my work far more accessible.

Accessible I guess in terms of depth, and in terms of availability.  I continue to ponder!

However it's the second sentence that makes me think more about it - that it keeps art ordinary.  I like the idea that art could/should be a regular part of life; that it should appear in people's lives as readily and easily as furniture.  That folk should be able to wander their garden and see beautiful pieces of art that make them smile; that art should be present in streets and shopping centres; that art should be within their homes and houses and seen each morning.  Nothings says ordinarily like art in a bathroom or toilet.

But in referencing back to the first sentence; I think it means that art should arrive in the mail - an art card or illustration on an envelope; that art should be able to be purchased and worn; or carried on a bag; or used to tie your hair up...

And maybe by doing so, you aren't cheapening your own art, just making it available for more folk to enjoy.


Available here.

2 comments:

  1. there is a relevant exhibition coming soon at the Japan Foundation at Central Park in Chippendale, "Seikatsu Kogei::::: Objects for Intentional Living" from Feb 21st - May 23rd
    here's the link
    https://jpf.org.au/events/seikatsu-kogei/
    "works that reflect the desire to convey the beauty of ordinary, everyday life."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes to all of this ... and thank you for continuing my late-blooming art education with the work of John Baldessari

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.