Thursday, March 19, 2020

Thursday Thoughts...

“Exhibiting my art is like letting people take a look into my bag”. 

  Pipilotti Rist

I honestly thought I had pondered this before and forgotten to mark it as read so to speak; but I hadn't, so that felt like a win.

I oftentimes think what a conundrum it is for artists, who in my experience are mostly introverts, to work on their most intimate and interior work only to then need to put it out into the world. It is one of the strangest things - why aren't all artists extroverts who really enjoying sharing and showing to large groups?

No idea.  Whilst Rist uses the handbag as an example of the real me, or my true self, I think art on show is often far more revealing than a handbag.  And it feels more important.

Being judged on your handbag's contents is one thing - it can be humorous or there can be moments of recognition and shared funny habits.  Art that come from the heart and is often hard-won feels far more vulnerable-making.  It feels a lot like putting your heart and soul on show and asking people to like it.

I for one can show the contents of my handbag far more easily than I can put my work on show and say 'this is me'.

Goodness only knows what this lot says about me, but there you go.



6 comments:

  1. Pipilotti Rist's 'Sip my Ocean' 30 year retrospective at the MCA in 2017 introduced me to her beautiful sensual immersive large scale video installations
    "Pipilotti Rist creates vast yet intimate spaces for contemplation and understanding. As she says: ‘If you kiss someone, you want to know what the other person is feeling. I want to find pictures that express what the other feels. I want to produce images that allow the viewer to be closer and watch the inside of the heart of the other.’"
    from the essay MCA Senior Curator Natasha Bullock
    https://www.mca.com.au/stories-and-ideas/pipilotti-rist-sip-my-ocean-curatorial-essay/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mo - I discovered her show at the MCA when I went checking on her - some fascinating thoughts and ideas in amongst it all...go well, stay well.

      Delete
  2. oh my goodness ... how did you manage to dump my handbag out on your table? ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laugh! Mine is a messy dump for sure but I really smiled to discover mine was similar to yours! Go well, stay well.

      Delete
  3. I thought mine was a mess !.....ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a complete and utter dump Annick - a real mess poured onto the table! Go well, stay well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.