Sunday, March 29, 2020

Little printings

It has been a week of self-isolating as best we can, and simply moving between the house and the studio.  We are not sure how long this will continue - if we go into lockdown, we will try to bring bits of the studio back with us.

It seems a very long time since last Sunday - harder each day to remember what day it is!

So with my skittery mind and the occasional sense of dread I have found it best to go and do small things.  So it has been a week of stationery.

I have cut up heaps of cards - different papers and different sizes, and blind embossed decklededgepress on the back and then printed a couple of different ones and a couple of different colour ways.

Nothing too challenging, but I have been pleased to have had something to do and something to think about.

A while ago I was pondering these words and trying to work out whether to put new ones in or leave them out.  Finally I landed here.

I think these are grief cards.  They are certainly cards for when your heart is heavy; when you are aching for somebody you care abut as they go through something; and somehow you just can't find the words to let them know...

The beautiful old wood type I used inks up a bit randomly on the textured paper; but it makes them appear hand made (which of course they are) and hopefully heart-felt.


As ever, I am tickled by a deckled edge.


And so to virtual hugs.  Physical distancing has meant that so many of us can't hug each other when we meet; we can hardly touch an arm or a hand.  And so I am sending virtual hugs out across the world.

As a by-note it was harder to do than it looks, because the word is a certain size typeface; but to get the parentheses to wrap around the word that typeface had to be bigger.  And then I had to work out how to make it all level in a line. Technical I know, but it kept me puzzling to solve it for a bit!


So I have printed some cards, in periwinkle blue; but mostly I printed postcards on beautiful thick white paper (Gmund Cotton 300gsm).



 The next day I printed the postcards in spearmint green.


And today I printed them in rose pink.


I also did some DL cards with a simple "Thinking of you..." on them - so far in spearmint and rose.




It just felt like these are sentiments folk might want or need right now.

I will try to get them up on the DEP shop sometimes soon; but if you are interested in the interim; the cards are $8 each and shipping is free; and the postcards I am working out! Just drop me a line or a comment and I will get back to you.

8 comments:

  1. there is a catch in my throat as I realize how these words are so needed in this day and time ... and yes, it has ever been so, but never on this scale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes there just aren't the words are there Liz? This is a time of great unknowing and worrying and wondering. Just breathe is another set of words I have pondered printing and illustrating for now...they might just be next. Go well and stay well, with virtual hugs from across the miles.

      Delete
  2. love how you and Barry bring so much peace and love into the world in these strange days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mo it is such a time of yearning and longing for knowing and understanding. And yet it is just out of reach. In small places we can find a sense of knowing; beyond my wee pool I get lost, so I withdraw back in close and then send out some light. It might help somebody else find their way. Go well and stay well.

      Delete
  3. virtual hugs for you too and stay well !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virtual hugs are returned back to you Annick - sending them all around the world and back again for so many folk we love and care about. Go well, stay well and keep making.

      Delete
  4. We need those lovely words. Virtual hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Penny - sometimes words reach out and touch us even tho we are far far away... Virtual hugs can go around and around I think, so they are bounced back to you too! Go well and stay well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.