Tuesday, March 3, 2020

We Are Sorry and the Libris Awards

As I have tidied up around the studio of late - in preparation for the BIG move - I did a quick check on We Are Sorry, a book that Barry and I produced together last year for the exhibition Compassion.

The pages were put together after we had printed onto all sorts of papers, and in particular, we had included a light tracing paper.  Originally I had used a spray adhesive to attach it, but after being handled and possibly the humidity (also possible it was just not brilliantly executed to start with) I noticed the the page was wrinkling, crinkling and lifting and did not look great.

So I went back to our leftover prints and worked out a few more pages I could use and went about removing the offending original.

It took no time at all, so that was good on the one hand, not so good on the other had I really wanted it to stay in the book!

The offender once removed.


A little bit too much curling and crinkling.



And so to replacement options - the blank page.


Any number of leftovers.


A selection was made and in it went.  Some layered Japanese tengucho paper - repeating we are, we are sorry.




The opposite page is a layered, soft as tengucho - 4gsm - and I love its repetition.


The closing pages - Goyu paper this time.


We are hoping to submit this book the Libris Awards.

The words that support it include:

We are Sorry has layers and layers of sorry. As a nation, we have made three National Apologies and this book has many more apologies in it – to asylum seekers detained in inhumane conditions; to future generations for our refusal to act on climate change; to people with disabilities in institutional care; and to returned veterans with PTSD, for starters. We are sorry.

6 comments:

  1. this is a book that needs to be seen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mo - I sincerely hope that it will be, fingers are crossed, but you never do know!

      Delete
  2. if only the pols could see their way clear to truly making amends ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I think took some big steps with our Apologies; hand written by a great calligraphy friend, and placed in our Parliament House for the record. They made us all feel bit better for what has happened in the past; but they haven't influenced what we do today I must say. We can hope we can become better...I hope.

      Delete
  3. nice;so many layers on top of one another create a lovely effect !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annick - I love the layering too. Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.