Thursday, November 10, 2022

Thursday Thoughts...

“The path isn’t a straight line; it’s a spiral. You continually come back to things you thought you understood and see deeper truths.” 

Unknown

I am always a bit uncertain when I can't credit a quote, but figured with this one that is almost a universal saying, and that throughout history many folk have probably said these words or very close approximations of them.

Today I am pondering Art - yet clearly this one could also be about Life.

For Art, these words say to me that my making isn't a linear thing. I do not make, complete and move on. I haven't resolved something completely or finished with it.

It seems that I often circle back to things, renew things, go deeper, see another way to consider and create something.

Sometimes the further away from something I am, the more I realise there are other things to investigate, different angles or elements to explore.

Life as Art; Art as Life.


Gillian Frederick, Lacuna and the missing piece, 2022.


4 comments:

  1. what a beautiful piece of art ... the perfect illustration for this quote, especially with its "imperfect" (maybe irregular is a better word?) spiral ... so much like life and art

    I went off to see what more I could learn about Gillian Frederick ... her stitched paper technique is very interesting and I look forward to following her on Instagram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was eye catching and fits the thoughts so well I thought.I really like the irregular movement - for life is indeed not perfect, regular or sequential; it is happening on tangents with lots of ups and downs...

      Delete
  2. Wow! That resonates with me so much, sometimes I get so far with something and then realise that I don't have the skills or knowledge to get the results I want and wait to return years later when I do. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa - it is so true of much of our art and making isn't it? We don't know what we don't know; and then we learn more and the depth appears to us somehow and we now know what it needs to be and how to achieve it...go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.