Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Making Home

 I may be almost finished with my notions on home and what it all means, but then again, I'd never say never!

Last week I managed to complete the two small books I had been working and re-working. I have called them Making Home as they honour the small birds who build nests in such glorious and intricate ways.

I sewed pouches for each of them. Again I like to protect my work, and I also think that pouches, boxes, slipcases, let you know that what you are about to spend time is a special or precious thing.

As I often say in my Building Narrative workshops - you start 'reading' an artists' book long before you turn a page.


The covers are a rich, warm creamy paper and the spines are 'bobble-stitch' sewn. That's a technical term I use to describe the sewing which may also be known as dot dash perhaps?


Making Home I reads:

gleaning downy threads
patient weaving of new dreams
time and twigs entwined


It also includes some hand-stitched twigs.


I chose the lovely light Japanese paper print of the nest to include, and trimmed it down to sit nicely within the page design.


Making Home II is similar in shape and style and stitching.



Inside, the words read:

preparing for Spring
stitching layered lines of hope
fine wisps of shelter


I played with the 'layered lines' idea in my calligraphy and formed the words with several different strokes, from different coloured pencils.


I placed the second nest print on soft Japanese tissue into the design, and then stitched some more layered lines...


I love both of these books. For information about purchasing one or both of them, you can find them at my online shop here.

And through the week, Barry brought me this gift...


Home is built anew...

6 comments:

  1. When I was very young (and small!) I like to collect fallen nests, egg shells, et cetera.Sometimes, I'd put bits of my "collection" in a shoe box and then add some moss, feathers, whatever and a skink or gecko. No, I don't do that today!
    But you have stirred memories...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And wasn't a nest the best of them?!?! I drove past one today and so wanted to stop. I think collections of our natural world are just so precious and I have enjoyed thinking of you as a young one doing just that!

      Delete
  2. bobble-stitch is perfectly named ... and what an artful nest B found!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am far more likely to remember it as bobble-stitch than its real name! and nest are such perfection. Sigh.

      Delete
  3. (((Fiona))) love these notions of home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your beautiful book inspired me for these Mo - although I do love your colour way the best!

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.