Sunday, November 6, 2022

Notions of home

 Home, home, home. The words mean so much, but what do they mean?  As ever, when moving between Scotland and Australia I wrestle with the notion of home, try to unpick it and understand it. On our return in May I played this way.

On return this time I have sat down to make more imagery of home.

First up I retrieved some of the papers  I used for my envelopes in Carried. Here's how some of the papers were made for that.

The papers are linked to both Scotland and here - rubbings taken from the Cottage's stone walls, and from a chair made by a friend here.

I started by working out what size these wee homes might be as I had a frame that had said to me - use me! They ended up quite wee - the body of each home is 5cm x 5cm and the roof is about 2.5cm high.

I failed to photograph the first step - trimming the papers to 1cm, 2cm and 3cm wide strips. They are much smaller strips than for the envelopes as I wanted the squares to have a contrast between papers showing.

I also failed to photograph the second step - randomly stitching the narrow strips together to make a small sheet, from which I cut the shapes.

I did however manage to photograph me stitching the shapes together.

And then of course there was lovely layering of the final four.



I am very happy with where these have landed. Now I just have to try and mount them so they are truly lovely.

6 comments:

  1. F - I can totally get the failing to photo the first couple of steps; but the outcome with its many layers and threads is great. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was a bit excited and distracted and got going without thinking!

      Delete
  2. I love this iconic form of home ... and yes, the layers are wondrous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is truly iconic and representative for me. I just went and had look at my first blog post after coming back in May - and yep, it used these forms. The layering and threads are just lovely!

      Delete
  3. These little semblances of "home" are delightful and a wonderful way of making whilst thinking - simple, connected and evocative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful way of putting things - thank you! Yes, it feels like these emerge as I think about home and where and what it is...I did exactly the same thing when we returned in May. Interesting.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.