Friday, June 4, 2010

COMA - Scratching the Surface

The Collaboration of Maleny Artists' (COMA) exhibiton opens tonight at A Peace of Green gallery in Maleny.  The theme was "Scratch the Surface"and finished pieces could be no more than 5" x 7" and 3D pieces were limited to 7" x 7"

Scratching the surface felt more literal than metaphorical to me and I longed to scratch the surface of some metal. I used an aerial view of the Obi Obi creek snaking its way past macadamia stands and through lush green pasture and vegetation around Maleny as inspiration.

I scratched the surface of a found piece of steel by engraving the image and making marks with the engraving tool. The light touch this technique produced reminds me to touch the earth lightly.


I also found an old piece of copper with a beautiful green patina and scratched its surface by etching the design away with acid. The patina left behind reminds me of the verdant landscape of the Blackall Range and the exposed copper reminds me of the rich red earth.


Just to balance out the 2D and 3D elements of the exhibition, Barry and I quickly pulled together another piece called "Home" recycling an old piece and making it new - using a tiny gum bud found on our morning walk to make a nest in a copper tree. I scratched the surface of the copper leaf on the timber.

1 comment:

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.