Sunday, August 7, 2011

A Letter a Week - beginning again

I am hopelessly out of synch with my second alphabet; it has been fits and starts and moments of chaos, but over the past few days I finally settled and sorted and got things back under control...

I have chosen to do a folded paper alphabet. I had hoped I might  be able to pull off a 3-D pop up alphabet but I don't have the time or head space to sit down and really work thru the logistics and logic of creating a stylish 3-D alphabet at the moment.

So I went for paper folding. I also reverted to one of my favourite things in the world - a rainbow - and am creating a rainbow of letters.  I knew I needed something on the underside of the paper to contrast with the plain coloured paper of the letter, and as I drove into town on Friday I saw spots, and decided I'd do spots! No idea where they came from, but I think they work.

I like the way the letter is plain and almost in the negative space, and that the pattern appears in the blank of the letter. An  interesting effect.

I also love them on the black background, and think I'll work with that in the final piece.

It's all good fun and just what I needed to get doing something.

I love that about this project, whenever I've been away for a bit and am back in the studio, it is a lovely gentle, small thing to get me back in the groove...no fear of producing a major work, no need to have hours up my sleeve...just sit down and play with a couple of letters. Perfect!




7 comments:

  1. Now that's what I call a really clever use of ready made material. It certainly works Fiona and I love the sharp contrast of the bright colours against the black. Very stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lesley - they look quite startling and chic don't they? It's just A4 coloured copy paper - so cheap and cheerful! I'll make a book I think - with black, and maybe pop-ups somehow.

    Deanna - thanks for visiting and commenting; it is a simple idea, but seems to work quite well, thanks!

    Amanda - simplicity is a fine thing I think; the bright colours adds a certain something, and they are simple and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really nice idea - the brightness of the colors offsets the simplicity of the design, and the spots remind me of markings found in nature somehow...plus the black background is perfection! Great work - in a small package!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks V - I agree wholeheartedly.

    G/TT - it's great when simple and small come together so effectively I think. Especially the simple bit...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.