Thursday, March 28, 2019

Thursday Thoughts...

“Art has always been the raft on to which we climb to save our sanity”. 

Dorothea Tanning

I liked this image in my mind's eye and something about the simplicity of the notion of a raft seemed manageable.

I don't come to art with any sense of high-faluting experience, wisdom or understanding.  I come to art with a quiet appreciation of what it can offer us - as makers and creators, and as viewers and experiencers of art.

It interests and intrigues me at times, how when I am shocked or angered; saddened or delighted, that it is to the making of art that I turn.  I turn to art as a means of expressing these feelings and also, to simply respond to the initiating factors in some way - to say something.

These words ring true as we face so many strange and difficult times - for many of us art is indeed a raft onto which we climb to save ourselves and others.


Dreamboat 'believe' - 2010

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful- all aboard! My meditative stitching is certainly a raft for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Louise - we should all grab a raft and go!!

      Delete
  2. F - really like this thought - the idea of a raft to climb onto to save sanity seems so apt at times. B

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.