Sunday, July 7, 2019

Set up and ready to go in the West!

As this post goes to print so to speak, I am in WA getting ready to teach Quietly and Gently at Fibres West.

The preparations for such a course are a bit mammoth and many hours were spent cutting paper, revising and photocopying handouts, getting samples together and making sure I have enough of everything to share around.

Given we are so far out of town (100km from Perth itself) and knowing that supplies won't be easy to get hold of if I forget something, I dedicated a whole bag to resources and supplies. Fingers crossed.

We work on 10cm x 10cm squares of different papers, and here they are all bundled up ready to go.  I think I need well over 400 of these squares, so much chopping was done.


My desk looks completely overwhelmed, but my checklists have been working and I think I have got most of the things I need in that stash. Everything from containers for sharps to cutting boards to feathers to tools for sale.


And brayers, and lino cutting tools and rulers and threads and lino and pre-cut covers!


Ans always there are samplers...


There is a shop one night so I have prepared a bunch of small things for sale - these wee journals with embossed poppies are rather sweet.


I have made name tags for my students - I always appreciate a name tag!  One,  like to have nice ones myself; but two I really like it when folk wear them, it helps my name memory so much.


I also do folders for all their handouts.


I will also be presenting a 45 minute talk on my work so the powerpoint has been timed and finely tuned I hope, so that it lasts long enough but not too long!


And as the say, let the workshop begin!

8 comments:

  1. The name tags! At first I thought they were cunningly folded, then I realized it was the graphite shading that was fooling my eyes into seeing something that wasn't there. And the lettering on the folders ... I'd save one of those forever!

    Wish I could be a butterfly on the wall so I could listen to you talk about your work ... I suspect 45 minutes wouldn't be nearly long enough!

    It looks to be a fantastic experience for all ... I hope pictures will be in the offing, but I know how hard it can be to think of photography when you are "in the moment" of teaching and creating

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz - only now getting back to folk after a rather busy time. Glad you like the name tags - they are gentle are they not? The talk went well and the conversations carried through the week...go well

      Delete
  2. F - mammoth effort indeed getting all this prepared - I know the students will appreciate the experience. B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Mo - there were lots, but they were worth it!

      Delete
  4. some work you did ! Wow. i sure would have liked to take this workshop.looks amazing. Happy teaching there !

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.