Thursday, September 10, 2020

Thursday Thoughts...

"It’s a pale, silent day: I would like to be walking in a wood, far away.” 

Katherine Mansfield, from a diary entry, 25 June 1907

For whatever reason, and I expect there are many, I only became aware of Katherine Mansfield last year.  Heresy perhaps, but all of our paths of discovery are often unique and winding and we find things in our worlds when we find them.  And possibly when we are ready to do so. So here I am feeling fortunate I have found her!

But that aside, this quote is one for pondering upon life.

I am sitting at my new desk in our new office and looking out upon a pale, silent day.  The clouds are low and the mist is rolling across hillsides and dipping into valleys.  I am sure it will rain soon.  

I love Mansfield's description of pale silent days.  Pale and silent days are made for many things in my mind: walking in woods; walking along empty beaches with grey foam and waves; sitting curled up with a book; stitching quietly...

It seems to me that they are more internal than external.  Big blue sky days (or bluebird skies in Scotland) are made for getting out and about, being invigorated by the beautiful energy of it all.  Pale silent days feel more insular and gentle.  

The rain has come; gently and softly enveloping my view. A gentle rhythm. I'll not be walking in a wood today; but I do love the pale silent days...


We are just back from a wee break by the sea. The mist welcomed us our first night (and then the sun shone) but it was a gentle reminder  to slow down and relax...

6 comments:

  1. thank you for this beautiful introduction to Katherine Mansfield, so good to hear you two have had a little quiet time out by the sea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just what we needed...quietude and just watching the tide come in, go out, come in again...the best of rhythms.

      Delete
  2. I confess that I am not acquainted with Katherine Mansfield ... something to remedy it seems

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am only barely acquainted with her, but have enjoyed my forays of recent times!

      Delete
  3. sometimes it is necessary to be reminded of this, I'm afraid....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Annick; how is it that we lose track of some of the most important things? We get distracted and get busy, but yes it is good to be reminded...go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.