Thursday, September 24, 2020

Thursday Thoughts...

“The most important tool the artist fashions through constant practice is faith in his ability to produce miracles when they are needed”. 

Mark Rothko

Change the pronoun and I can connect with this much better.

And so to ponder.  These words seem to relate to artists with particular practices.  The ability to produce miracles when needed seems to be associated with deadlines - be they commissions or exhibitions.  

I was wondering if the words applied to me; then realised that of course they have. At different points in time when things simply have to be done in time for certain things to be achieved it can feel like a miracle may well be called for.  

Perhaps it's not just about being able to pull the work out of the bag in time to deliver it; perhaps it's about being able to create work you have never attempted before for somebody who has requested it (or paid for it).  When one has possibly overpromised; or simply held the belief that even tho you haven't previously done it; that you most definitely can and will.

The part that interests me in particular is how Rothko describes this belief in your own capacity and capability as the most important tool to keep working away at over time. I'm not sure if it necessarily requires miracles, or just a deep and enduring belief in yourself and your skills.

This project had both - never done it before - plus - have a deadline in it.  Taking handwritten words, transforming them to digital; selecting the right colour, determining the size and layout and then installing in a public place. 




2 comments:

  1. we were talking about this project just the other day ... how wonderful to see it here again!

    and thinking too about gender-neutral pronouns ... they instead of he or she, theirs instead of his or hers, etc ... having read something recently that was non-gendered, how it felt awkward, but then I recalled there was much the same awkwardness as we moved from stewardess to flight attendant, policeman to police officer, and on and on ... and how, in the end, it was and is the right thing to do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I was able to bring the project forward again Liz! Gender neutral language is a work in progress for me and I am getting better. When I find myself reacting to he/him/his and feel the lack of inclusivity of women/me/us implied by it, I realise that I need to do more to be inclusive all round! Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.