Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Reflecting and re-learning

It is twelve months since I travelled to Hobart and spent a week doing the Poetics of Place course with Ruth Hadlow. It was a profound experience and I had some very deep learnings, and it was here that I was introduced to the idea of bibliomancy.

Every Tuesday morning I have set aside an hour to do my version of bibliomancy - the notion of gathering art-related books, dipping into them and gathering notions; making connections; meandering into unknown territory; devouring my dictionary as I learn new words; and soaking in new ideas with no agenda.

Last week I headed off and realised I had left my notebook out of my biblio bag; so decided instead to go back through the notebooks I had written during the course, and it was quite the revelation.

Re-reading my notes, a year down the track - a year of horrendous bushfires, a devastating pandemic, selling our home of 14 years and relocating -  it occurred to me that despite the deep connection I had made with many of the ideas explored; I had not been able to implement or use them  much this year.

2020 has been that kind of year.

Re-reading my notes I found insights I had missed earlier; and was able to capture some of the key notes to self I had jotted down.  I found them like a tonic - a bit of a kick up the bum so to speak - to shift my thinking and remember what it means to engage with process.

One of the things I learned about myself during the course was that I moved quickly in my head; I synthesised heaps of information and came to a conclusion or outcome readily.  My challenge is to slow down and look around, push something further before getting to my answer.

So I headed to the studio on the weekend and set a couple of quick reminders - my letterpresses notes to self. I quickly locked up chases, didn't muck about with registration, the prints landed where they would.

Stop following a single train of thought to its conclusion.  Stop and look sideways; introduce new ideas; test other things...


Accept an idea, then ask and...take it further, don't go ah ha I've got it; add some complexity, challenge it from different directions.


This is me. Stop. Slow down. Scan the environment. Look for options to turn left or right; or turn around!


Remember that both intuition and analysis have their own place. Just remember to use them in the right places and sequence and amount!


This is a reminder to me about how to progress and explore an idea. It doesn't say - intuit, work, complete.


And this is the challenge for me - my brain seems to be wired to gather ideas and bring them together quickly; to trying make sense of disparate bits of information.  I like tying things off and understanding them. As I am wont to say - every strength, when overplayed, becomes a weakness.


And so I have a bundle of reminders to keep about me; and hopefully help guide me into making and creating in 2021.

6 comments:

  1. brilliant ... on so many levels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. It was serendipity (and possible 2020 ditziness) that meant I went back through the notes, and wow just wow, I got some great re-learnings and rememberings. The words are mine, yet are probably somewhat universal, and they have acted like a tonic to my creative soul! Go well.

      Delete
  2. 2020 has certainly given us time to reflect and review on the things that matter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Mo, so true. It has forced me to consider scale. The scale of where I go and operate and visit. I think about the sense of attachment to community of location; and to community of interest across the world; as well as to friends in other states and under lockdown. Connections, threads and ties have been so important this year, in so many ways...much to continue to ponder. Go well.

      Delete
  3. I like your emphasis on breaking through your old patterns, even the ones that have worked well in the past. I find this very difficult and you are inspiring, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dana. These words may be mine, yet I imagine some of the intention is universal. I slip into what seems easiest, even if it doesn't serve me the best. I slip into things that seem to offer a quick fix, rather than staying with the discomfort of not knowing. So interesting to be able to re-reflect on the words I wrote a year ago. I give myself the grace of the year that has discombobulated us all so much on so many levels , and for not thus being able to implement or put them into plays as much as I might have wished. But now as some things settle I almost take the oath again to try... go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.