Thursday, November 5, 2020

Thursday Thoughts...

"I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn’t say any other way – things I had no words for". 

Georgia O’Keefe.

Today I ponder art, and these words seem to speak such a truth about the value of art and the way it enables us to express things that may at times feel inexpressible. A bit like the times we are in.

I have the feeling that much good art is going to emerge from both the political times we live in and the fears that they emit; and the time of the pandemic when we are forced to close in and look within.  

Each of those circumstances has created a range of emotions and experiences with me - and I struggle at time to be able to express them with words. Perhaps the storytelling of this time will be most powerful through art. Where feelings and emotions can be shared in ways that words can't reach.

For some I imagine it will be the act of making art that helps them make sense of things; that time spent with our hands connecting to our minds and our hearts will resolve some things.


Georgia O'Keefe, Blue Road 1962.

4 comments:

  1. (((Fiona))) both you and Liz Ackert have introduced me to these beautifully pared back sky blue and bone white paintings by O'Keefe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Serendipity is a wonderful thing Mo - and funny how the energy circles and we pick up on it here and there. I found Georgia's quote ages ago and it felt right this week; and lo Liz was posting on Georgia's clouds! Snap. Isn't the arc of this simply breathtakingly beautiful? Go well.

      Delete
  2. wow ... I've never seen this painting ... it reminds me of a field trip I sponsored to Washington, DC many years ago when I saw a Georgia O'Keeffe exhibit from her time in New York City ... so different from her Southwest depictions

    so yes, how different the art of 2020 is apt to be ... a reflection of the times ... a much-needed catharsis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you'd the painting have met! I love the pared back nature of this - saying smooch with so little. I think the art of 2020 could have a big burst of Georgia's gorgeous flowers today! Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.