Sunday, November 29, 2020

Wild/Flower Women III

 Barry and I took a trip to Gympie during the week to see the Exhibition Wild/Flower Women III. There is a long and lovely history of women artists and writers walking this country near Cooloola and recording the flora and wildflowers.

Here, I have captured some of the works which captivated me.

This enormous piece Impermanence (5m x.1.1m) by Joolie Gibbs held my gaze for a long time.


Some details follow.  It was the scale, the intimacy, the wash, the absences, the layering...there is so much held within this work.  The inks were also made from native flora, (bunya, mangrove, eucalyptus bark), and the whole thing was so beautifully integrated.


I have never worked this large and I imagine there is huge skill needed to keep track of the whole and how it is working, whilst offering so much detail...


It was awesome, in the true sense of the word.


A beautiful piano scroll draped alongside vial of ochre  by Melissa Stananrs come go walk and care for country.


A vinyl wall work banksia aemula  piece by Ulrik Sturm.


Found rusted tins... Grasstree Spikes by Barb Hart.

Referencing Xannthorroea I imagine  


Two tea cup, saucer and plate sets by Judy Barrass - handmade paper and print. I adored these with their Australian wildflowers and had to work really hard to NOT pick them up and feel them!


And as you wander to the toilets if you look down here is this whimsical transfer along the skirting boards. I imagine that Ulrike has been playing!


And across the road from the gallery, a graffiti heart.


It was a great day trip and the work was wonderful. It filled me up and lifted me. 

10 comments:

  1. what a wonderful exhibition, fiona, and i'm really glad you shared these photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a marvellous show Velma, and so good to be able to go out and see great art again! I thought folk might enjoy some snippets...go well

      Delete
  2. just to look at one small corner of one small close-up in Joolie Gibbs' epic piece is to marvel at her attention to detail: the interplay of individual leaves and stems, one overlapping another and another and another ... as infinite as nature ... one could get lost in the wonder of it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautifully said Liz - it was stunning, and I think the majesty was in its intricacy and cohesion. Astonishingly beautiful and mesmerising. I spent a long time looking at it, into it and...

      Delete
  3. such beautiful work, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful! I wish I could have seen it. But thank you for showing us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be so nice to get a feel for a show you can't visit when others show a bit of it can't it? I really enjoyed a lot of this show, and its links back to women like Kathleen Macarthur and Judith Wright added such depth. Glad you enjoyed the snippets - go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.