Tuesday, July 12, 2022

An amazing exhibition, Part I

 I thought I might blog about this exhibition we saw recently, but realised I didn't feel as if I could really do it justice without looking at in parts.

Currently on show at GOMA (Gallery of Modern Art) in Brisbane, is the exhibition The Soul Trembles by  artist Chiharu Shiota.

We had seen some snippets of images that were utterly intriguing, but I must say that nothing prepared me for the impact of this show.  We were both rendered speechless at different points, and I know that I struggled to find word to express my response and my feelings.  It was quite simply, breathtaking and stunning.

The first room we entered contained the work Where are we going?

I was mesmerised. The vessel forms, the grid of black threads, the interlacing and interweaving of white wool. You could walk around it, you could stand under it...

I could have left there and then and feel like I had seen all that I needed to see. It was so satisfying, I was full.




Amongst it, there was one, red vessel.


The next work to make me stand still, gazing, absorbing, feeling was called In Silence.




As a contrast, the next work I really enjoyed was inside-outside





And a smaller and more structured fibre work to finish, State of Being.


I'll complete the exhibition in another post soon.

4 comments:

  1. the scale of the work is astonishing ... just contemplating how one would transport them, let alone create them in the first place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scale is phenomenal; and the experience of being within it, without it, beneath it, around it...was all encompassing.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.