Sunday, July 24, 2022

No idea sometimes...

 I honestly have no idea sometimes why things pop into my head.  I was working away on important other things the other day, and into my head popped - burnt holes with thread dangling.

Now what did that mean? And did it have a purpose? Was it supposed to mean something? Should I pay attention?

I chose to pay attention and after I had completed another step in the important task, I left it alone for a bit and went and played with incense sticks, Japanese paper and thread.

As ever, I started with words, but decided to go a'wandering too.


I burnt from behind, and enjoyed the little tufts on the front. Sort of like a slow motion photo of a drop of milk hitting something.


The challenge is always how to handle the burnt charcoal-y flakes. Still not sure - thinking maybe vacuum them up? Could prove entertaining!


And then I did part two - dangly threads. You can really see the charcoal bits here. If I want a pristine look, I have to work it out. If I am happy to have a record of burning, then I could leave them. 



I reversed out of dangling, and went for straight and steady and tried to stitch the lettering as it didn't feel as if it would work with dangles. A couple of options.


And I left it on my desk - making me wonder what that little interlude was all about, and with no idea (once more) about where it might go or what it might do.


However, because I have been working on exhibition pieces and commissions, I really enjoyed just heading off randomly for a bit and seeing where it might take me.

6 comments:

  1. how interesting ... your words "holes with thread dangling" conjured a totally different image in my mind ... of threads hanging down from the back ... a miniature version of the amazing exhibit by Chiharu Shiota ... hmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could really go to town with that notion! Somehow I saw them looped as stitches where the bobbin had gone wrong. So interesting to think if we all had the same prompt - just these four words - the variations we would create...go well.

      Delete
  2. F - creative art play is so important. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Sometimes we just have to give ourselves permission to follow through on that weird and wonderful idea...

      Delete
  3. What a great example of artistic openness! I'm inspired by your ability to follow your stray ideas, and by the outcome as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dana - this was an interesting moment. The thing in my head was persistent, so I thought I should see what it might be...every now and again one of these weird wanders pays off. Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.