Thursday, July 14, 2022

Thursday Thoughts...

“I also believe that introversion is my greatest strength. I have such a strong inner life that I’m never bored and only occasionally lonely. No matter what mayhem is happening around me, I know I can always turn inward.” 

Susan Cain, Quiet

In her book Quiet, Susan Cain really tooted the horn for introverts in an extrovert world. I oftentimes follow and read posts by introverts and nod along merrily. I feel heard when people say things like "I'm staying in today, it all seems too people-y out there".

To be an introvert; to have a tendency to internal workings; to seek solace and strength in time alone; to feel exhausted by large, active interactions, is not something that the world kind of expects or values at times. It wants you to be up, to be out there, to connect, to network, to promote, to blahh blahh blahh.

Introversion is me and exactly what I need.

I can support Ms Cain's notion that she is never bored and only occasionally lonely. I oftentimes think I need another lifetime or two to get through all the things I am interested in doing; in exploring, and in pursuing the funny little thoughts that come to me in quiet times.

There is great comfort I think, in knowing you can turn inwards as needed, to restore your equilibrium and and renew.

The risk of course is that you stay there and losing contacts and connections in not a good place to be either...



2 comments:

  1. I recall nodding my way through Susan Cain's Quiet ... time to get it out for a re-read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is often worth checking back and seeing f ebook holds the same strength of response; or if you have become clearer in your thinking, and/or gone further. Sometimes re-reading reinforces things for me; at other times I find myself disappointed. I think I would still enjoy Quiet. Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.