Thursday, July 28, 2022

Thursday Thoughts...

"Nothing is less real than realism. Details are confusing. It is only by selection, by elimination, by emphasis, that we get at the real meaning of things".  

Georgia O’Keeffe

Realism. The literalness of things. Replication versus representation. 

I am doing some work at the moment which makes me think about representing something rather than replicating something.  In there lies the interest I think.

This quote and my own realisation of what I need to do has really made me think about realism, replication and reproduction. How marvellous to acknowledge that nothing is less real than realism!  

The quote makes me think of withdrawing things, moving away from exactness, trying hard to retain the essence of things rather than the absoluteness of them.

As a mostly self-taught maker I sometimes come to knowledge like this late in the game; but can also see that it may be something I have understood yet not know that there was a name for it, or that an art discussion around exactly this thing has been happening through the ages .

From this quote I shall carry with me the words: Selection, Elimination and Emphasis. and am sure that they will whisper in my ear as I make, reminding me that realism is not necessarily real.


4 comments:

  1. you have given "envelope" new meaning ... with loose threads for emphasis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's lovely Liz and exactly where I was trying to get to with this. They are prototypes for a piece about envelopes holding thoughts and feelings. And I never can leave loose threads alone!

      Delete
  2. Dear Fiona, how I wish that I might comment more often. There is always a delightful and uplifting freshness to what you make and post. When I come here, I know that I will come away encouraged. And I want to especially thank you for a mention (some months ago) of Shelley Rhodes’ book Sketchbook Explorations. What a joy it has been. I’ve just ordered her book Fragmentation and Repair and can hardly wait to see it. Thank you for your generous spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, thank you so much for your lovely words - and for commenting when you can. Aren't those books a wonder and delight? I love the feel of them before you even begin; and there are so many moments of magic and beauty within. Thanks as ever for stopping by - go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.