Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Mending and cheering

I have no idea what happened or how it happened but this dear old grey beanie blew its lid the other morning!


From perfectly functional to unravelling before my eyes.

 

I sent out a quick SOS to a knitting friend Jo, who suggested I simply try to pick up all the stitches with wool of a matching colour and tie it off, and I added to myself, and hope.

So I headed to my trusty kit and found cream crochet thread and needles I use to stitch books. A good enough place to start.


I started to pick up the stitches, and had the odd moment of being not sure which direction to go in from, and also picking up only 2 of the 3 threads so there was a bit of unpicking going on as well.



Half way along I discovered what I think had happened, the wool thread which had pulled the whole thing tight to the crown had broken, so I tried to knot it and hold that bit together for a bit on its own.

There was absolutely no plan, or skill at play here, it was every thread for itself, in any direction.


I made it to the end after several ins and outs and pulled the thread through tightly together. I was still pretty fearful that I would have missed bits so just started doing a random stitch around the top knot kind of approach.



Which I then just keep going and going with. No finesse whatsoever, but it is bound down and stitched pretty tight. I hope it holds!

I have been thinking I might like to now try and make it look a bit pretty, or at least improve the stitching, but I’ll test it out for a bit first before committing further.

It felt good to have things in my hands again and be re-making, if not yet making.  We are away in Orkney for a bit now so things will be quiet on the making front for a few more days yet. I have been thinking and writing at least and some wee thoughts are swirling…

In between times I have been thoroughly enjoying the daffodils appearing.

The path to our washing lines, and some of their happy smiling faces…






No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.