Sunday, April 9, 2023

A good day for burning

 Friday was a stunning and sunny day here in Armadale, and so we headed out to the garden, ostensibly to do some gardening (novel). We did however get a bit distracted and decided first we would do some art.

On our last visit we had gathered some posts for B to do his work with from a fellow called Toby. As we were collecting them I saw some of the fence posts had been slightly burned, and were charred in places. I REALLY liked them. Four of them came home with us.

I had no real plan except I could see them bundled together somehow. As B was fixing the cove post not long after we arrived this time, we chose to saw the charred posts down to give him some good lengths to work with.  

I looked at the charred posts and chose the best faces and we decided we should try to get a post made whilst we were here.  A few days later I thought - I want them to be black; not black with the raw timber still showing at the top, and we discussed if it would be possible. 

Today we tested the hypothesis.

Barry helped as ever with all the technicalities - he collected and presented me with all the tools I would need, and I hammered the four posts together.


Here they are standing. You can see what I mean about the raw/bare bits at the top.


And so we turned to flame and fire...




Mesmerising...



The final flame on one tip.


We doused it with water twice to make sure no embers lingered. Possibly less important in 10 degrees in Scotland than in an Australian summer, but old habits die hard.


And here they are, ready for their becoming.


I have thoughts about binding, about holding, about wrapping. 

Thoughts about balance about stone about rust.

Fingers crossed I can find a way to bring it to a beautiful conclusion.

I am also pleased to report that much digging and gardening did get done!

2 comments:

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.