Sunday, April 23, 2023

Website update - it's been a while

 Well, we have returned back to Maleny, a bit earlier than planned, but we are all safe and well.

Jet lag often leaves me hazy - and slower than usual, yet for some reason over the weekend it made sense to me to try and update my website. I think it began when I was googling somebody and then wondered what they would find if they googled me. I wandered through my website as an observer, then realised there were things to update.

I don't go in and update often enough so it's often a case of re-learning the process with a few hiccups as you go. 

I realised I needed to update my gallery page (where I show some of my favourite pieces) and also my collections/CV bit.

My jotted notes. Firstly what needed to happen; and the green bits is what I needed to do for the gallery bit.

So off I went.

This is what the Gallery page looked like before I began. If you hover over an image you get the title and a bit about it; and if you click on the image you go to another page which has two more photos and links to process stories about the work (i.e. my blog posts) so I needed to find three images, think of some words and find two blog posts for each piece.

And after, with an example of the hover thing on Fragile Gains II.

I had forgotten so much. Here I had cut and pasted text and couldn't turn the colour into black; also the pictures were twice as large as the others on the page; and the titles were underneath the photos not on above them. I finally worked out I needed to simply duplicate a previous entry, and then replace the photos, words, titles etc.

So much simpler when one duplicated and replaced!

So now, if you hover over Validating you see this:

If you click on Validating you go here...

And if you click on Process stories, you go here...

The collections part involved updating the text on my About page to include the two new institutions, and then updating a Word document, converting it to a PDF and uploading it, then making a link to the Collection details button. It took a few goes...

New collections: Mackay and Sunshine Coast.

An updated Word document, ready to convert and load and link.


The screen after I did that the first few times!


And then the screen after it worked.


And I remembered to update the hover on Turning Point as well!



It took a few hours but it is nice to be up to date. As Barry and I often say to each other - an art life is never about just making art...

2 comments:

  1. hazy ? It looks like you had a lot of work done !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt hazy for some things, so it was good to realise I could do others things to keep life and art ticking along!

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.