Thursday, April 6, 2023

Thursday Thoughts...

“Each act of creativity becomes a form of prayer, if the heart is centred in the making”. 

 Jackie Morris (perhaps all art is ritual)

I really enjoyed reading this article that my friend Lesley sent me.  It made me stop and think about all the rituals we undertake; all the histories we continue to take forward, the traditions, and the honouring. As we make are the echoes back through time? Do we find ourselves placed somewhere in a continuum of the tradition? Can we find those who have gone before and feel a kinship with them?

As ever, everything depends on your personal perspective, values and belief systems, and I think perhaps an alternative word for prayer could be offering.  Offering suggests to me that creativity is an offering to the wider world, to the universe, to people's spirits. For me, prayer feels a bit different.

I feel as if if the heart is centred in the making are words to live by; and when the heart is engaged, beauty appears.

I oftentimes ponder does the heart lead? Does the head follow? Is it always the same or do different pieces emerge from different places? 

Perhaps all art is ritual, sometimes led by the head, sometimes led by the heart.


Detail, stitching copper remnants with copper wire... Peace Mends the World (2013).

4 comments:

  1. Peace Mends the World is an amazing piece of work ... your link sent me back to 2013 and from there I went to Barry's blog for the same time period ... I can well imagine why there were no photos of all those holes being drilled ... what a collaboration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 10 years ago Liz! This book was finally sold in 2021 I think - sometimes they take time to find their home. I loved making it, sitting quietly punching holes in metal, stitching metal with metal. Then together we drilled the perspex and put the 'pages' together (3 layers of perspex) and then I sat quietly and stitched. As ever, its good to use up the scraps!

      Delete
  2. (((Fiona))) Jackie Morris is such an inspiration and Jay Griffiths is such a fierce brave writer, "A Love Letter From A Stray Moon" is one of my favourite books of all times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh wow Mo! I hadn't read either of them before and really enjoyed this work, the thinking and the inquiry. I love having friends point me in the direction of good folk. Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.