Monday, April 3, 2023

Library Time

 On our last visit, we were home one day and saw the Mobile Library pull up along the road. It cheered me enormously to think of this lovely yellow truck making its way around the Highlands stopping in to deliver and receive books, bringing bookishness to the isolated areas. So happy.

This time when I saw it drive up the road I was ready with my card. One of the first things we had done when we bought the cottage was to become Library members, and here at last was my chance!

Seriously, it really did feel like Aladdin’s cave in there. So many books. So beautifully organised. Such a welcoming librarian!




I borrowed a couple of books. They are only at this stop for 15 minutes so I felt I couldn’t dally. I have always wanted to read Ali Smith’s quartet and Autumn is the first volume so I grabbed it. I almost read it in one sitting it was that good. So clever, so observant, so gentle, so lyrical. 


I was chuffed that because we have no mobile signal where we are, the good old manual stamp was still needed. 


What a glorious sight, the story this tells, the memories it evokes…


I will return my books in a few weeks, and will definitely borrow again some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.