Thursday, April 27, 2023

Thursday Thoughts...

I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn’t say any other way – things I had no words for. 

Georgia O’Keeffe

Some things aren't easily put into words. Words can feel clumsy or brutal or too bare or too strong or too fanciful or too weak or too blunt or too sharp or too scary or ...

And that is why I think artists are fortunate. No matter what we make or how we make we have a chance to say something without words. To find ways to express ourselves, our thoughts, our hopes our fears in way that are beyond words, that operate at levels that aren't vocal or legible.  

Some of us use colour, some use shapes; others use materials; some use time; some use scale; some use structure.  So many ways to speak and tell stories without words.

If we are lucky, our work speaks directly to people's hearts, without the need for translation or explanation or expression verbally. It speaks and expresses our kinship without words...



2 comments:

  1. having walked in the high desert of New Mexico that Georgia O'Keeffe inhabited, I quite agree that there are colors and shapes in the world for which there are no words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree wholeheartedly Liz; some majestic landscapes and some humble ones, can leave me with no words to express the deep resonance of their wisdom, their healing and their wonder.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.