Sunday, March 10, 2024

Attaching pegs and other bits

 The moment of truth arrived and I had to attach the pegs to the paper.  I had fiddled with some different wires,  and found that some of them cut and sliced my finger tips quite a bit and the risk of blood on the work was too great.

In then end I went with some wire with a beautiful history. I received from a friend in the village where we live, some fine wire used in her husband's musical instrument making business. He had died last year, and it is just so lovely to be able to include little bit of him in this piece.

It didn't cut my fingertips, but they were very tender for a day or two afterwards.

Each peg needed six holes pierced and three lengths of wire cut. I worked out the best way to attach the pegs was to place them, then pierce the holes. Remove the peg, pop the two leg wires in, then slip the legs of the peg through, hold it tight in place and turn the paper over. Then tighten and twist the wire.

What it looks like underneath.



I need to attach the paper to the canvas and the long lengths of excess wire made a snug fit impossible, so I snipped them all back to about 1cm in length.

And created a lovely shimmery pile of off cuts.

All in all, the attachment went pretty well, with just a few minor adjusmtents needed here and there.

It was very focussed and intense work so I had a bit of a break and went playing with what if?

I had blind embossed these pebble forms and I was wondering if stitching might add to them, make them more interesting?


I did some practice stitching around them and inside them. I think the wider border for stitching made them more interesting; the closer to the edge of them didn't add anything it seemed to me.


So I drew up a couple of test/trial outlines and will give them a go.


So much to do, but its good to also find time to play.

2 comments:

  1. how the other side holds the knowing of what it took to come to the hoped-for conclusion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it does indeed. In a way, its hard-wire and tautness also reflects some of the process and the hard work that went into all that it could become.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.