Sunday, March 17, 2024

Completing the pegs

 And here we are, with the work completed.

I had done so much to get this work this far, but there were still plenty of moments that needed to be worked through in order to get it done. I had managed to do the stitching lines, and to attach the pegs with wire. But now the challenge was to attach the paper to the canvas.

As Barry had looked at my design earlier, he had said - maybe the  Xs could be how you attach the paper to the canvas. And I was so excited as it sure beat trying to line up the pegs and poke holes in the canvas and tie the wire through the canvas!

First up I wanted to secure the paper to the canvas so it didn't slip and slide - I had cut it to fit perfectly so there was not a lot of margin for error. Bull dog clips and some grey board to protect the paper did the job. It felt really secure.


And then the funniest stitching team work began. I sat on the floor, we extended the canvas beyond the edge of the table, I would begin underneath the canvas; B would take the needle through the canvas from the top; together he would then help me find the next hole to pierce from below; and then he would send the needle back through from the top.


My abs got a minor workout as well!


Me finishing one of the Xs off underneath.


B about to pass the needle back through from the top.



Then we had to line up the canvas within the frame and secure it in there. It came with some spacers os that really helped.


And then we screwed the canvas and its boards into the frame and ta- da it was done!



I oftentimes include a little X somewhere in my work - to place me within it, help me find my place, connect me to the work, and so on.  Here they do the same thing, but also often an excellent anchoring option!

And so it is done, This labour of love and pondering over years. It will head to Scotland to be shown in my exhibition "Hame" in September. It explores how I feel about having two homes, both beautiful, and how somehow, across the many miles, they connect and are one in my heart. Beautiful threads from here, and from there, connect.

I am still deciding on a title, but it is somehow about threads connecting...

4 comments:

  1. A wonderful piece of work - the simplicity of it contrasted with all of the many metaphors of home and the ties that band etc. is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jillayne, It was so satisfying to finish them and know the gentle story they tell. Go well.

      Delete
  2. such an elegantly simple solution ... though hardly simple in the execution of it ... bravo to you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz, I oftentimes think about the many many steps that are needed to make something look simple and elegant, but its the look I am after so, so be it. It was a good moment when B suggested using the Xs! A quiet sigh of contentment.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.