Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Working cubes out...

 For one of my remaining pieces for the Scottish exhibition I am trying to work out how to create artwork on fabric and cover two cement cubes. I know right? 

This was the play that made me think about it and how they might be positioned if I ever make them, but first things first...


Before working too hard on the printing/creating imagery and artwork on calico explorations, I thought I'd better see whether I could even wrap a cube so to speak.

I found a video tutorial about creating a cube that you could stuff with foam and make into a squeeze and fiddle type object and followed along with that.

Unfortunately I took no photos of the preparation phase, just the almost complete object. However there were 6 squares of calico, stitching four of them into single row and then adding one either of the second square in the row - making a 't'. Then some clever joining seams and voila as they say in the classics.



Of course I was there for the random dangling threads, but I do know it would be better if I trimmed them.



I popped my trial cube in and it fitted pretty well.


Rather than just leave a small hole to pull the cube through to the right side and to put the stuffing in; I needed to leave three sides undone in order to sit the cube in; and think I will need to hand stitch three sides.

I was faced with how to keep the seams tight as I pulled the lid over for sewing and came up with this .


And then I will fold the lid over and stitch it down.


I think.

I am now about to go discover if there are real patterns for sewing an ottoman cover which also needs the full cube popped into it; and of course, am now wondering if in fact I should hand sew all the seams! Laugh.

First up I have to make sure I know what sort of story I am trying to tell with these cubes and what sort of imagery and details they will each have. Then I need to work out of in fact I can achieve that. Do I work on each cube square separately before joining? Or do I wait until I have the 't' and design the work onto that? As ever a myriad of questions wait to be answered, but the only way to find out is to give it a go, so here we go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.