Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Student Workshop possibilities

 During the exhibition coming up in Scotland later in the year, I am planning to run a workshop with the students at the local high school.

I have been thinking bout what we can achieve in double class and would like them to make an artists' book that links to the Clearances, to home, and to moving between places.

I like the notion of a simple accordion book with a folded up pocket, in which they can pop some artwork.

I lit upon the idea of using luggage tags for the artwork - they indicate travel, movement between places and are about holding on to things you own or identifying things that belong to you.

Because we will need to take most things with us (our part of the Highlands is very remote!) I have been sourcing materials that might work; and plan to prepare pages and do plenty of other preparation.

I have come up with three options for the height of the book - depending on how much of a turn over they use for their pocket. I think I will also prep some bands like these for folding around the book, to help keep it together.


The shortest book has part of the tag peek over the top; but is very securely held inside.


The second book fits the tag in perfectly and still has a pretty deep pocket.


The third book hides the tag well inside, but has the shallowest pocket. I think it will be good to give the m options and let them choose what they want to use. We can either use 8 tags for artwork; or 6 and past the covers down or cover them to make them firmer.


I was reminded of this small tag I made when last in Scotland, using some of the techniques from my Visual Narratives course. I think it will be good to offer some papers for collaging, some words and lettering and let them create a story about home or travel or leaving...



Lots of things to be thinking about, and lots to push forward, but there is progress being made here and there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.