Sunday, March 31, 2024

Taking a deep breath and beginning

 One of the main pieces for Scotland involves seven bobbins with seven hand stitched scrolls. As ever, a lot of preparation has happened to get to this point where a needle goes near fabric.

Firstly I had to try and find seven wooden bobbins. We were lucky to come across a stash in a nearby antique shop so we snaffled them and brought them home. I was trying to work out the descending measurements and B kindly cut the bobbins that needed reduction, and we glued them back together so there are now 3 pairs of different sizes, and one large central bobbin.


Another step involved having seven sort of matching rusty tins, so I painstakingly went through my rusty tin stash and tried to pull together seven tins that were siblings and might be able to go together. 


I learned how to hand stitch run and fell seams to create the seven scrolls (after all the fussing that went into measuring and choosing fabric).

I bought a bunch of embroidery threads that I thought might suit the work, and which complemented my own threads which I had chosen.



I had created a very long list of words - a bit like a shopping list but different - and then transferred some of them onto the fine fabric.


And started stitching.


I am very conscious that there is a lot of stitching to do, and I am still strangely anxious about overdoing it and damaging my hand again, so I am going slowly.


But the first scroll is done!



Cautiously, and slowly, onwards.

2 comments:

  1. I like this very much. How lovely, but perhaps also challenging, to work with such delicate fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie; I think they will be lovely once I get them done! You are right that the fabric offer its own challenges; it is hard to get lovely letters, but a rustic look is probably going to be OK...fingers crossed.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.