Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Mackay Libris Art Awards (2)

I did enjoy attending this show and seeing where people's creativity was taking them.  It was a bit tricky to navigate your way around as there was no catalogue and nothing about the works or artists except for what was on the labels next to each book.

We were able to take photos without a flash; so my only way of recording things I liked and their makers was to photograph the label as well!

Reflecting afterwards I was surprised in a way to find that the books I liked the most were not all made of paper. Although given my recent diversions into metal and fabric I probably shouldn't have been. I was probably more surprised to see that a number that I really responded to were concertina books; which is very weird because I hardly ever make them!

I really loved this work on glass by Kristin McFarlane of Victoria, called Picture book. The way that glass allows for the layering of images; her use of text and the manner in which the pages were linked by a unifying design that flowed across them made it very appealing.




This piece on etched copper by Antonietta Covino-Beehre, also of Victoria called Dedication - dedi'KaSHen was also wonderful - the colours and images worked beautifully together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.