Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Mackay Libris Artists Book Awards

We travelled to Mackay (on the way to Townsville, Hughenden and Longreach) so that we could attend the Libris Awards - where one of my copper books was a finalist.  I went nowhere near winning, but was terribly impressed by the body of work produced by the last winner (in 2008) Deanna Hitti.

After you win, Artspace Mackay  gallery gives you the opportunity for a solo exhibition in the foyer, during the next Awards exhibition.

Here are her works, called assimilated Rhythm No 4 Bint Trembuckey.  I love the hints of story and the blend of cultures you can decipher from the English words - yet am totally enamoured by the arabic calligraphic script that dances and sings its way across the pages. These pages are big - they would be maybe 2.5 - 3.0 metres tall. They are also strangely challenging and calming.





1 comment:

  1. Hello Fiona, nice to hear from you. Yes, I was only there overnight too! A long way to go for both of us... I'm intrigued by your 'Letter a Week' blog and look forward to catching up with you again soon! Sara

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.